Thursday, May 12, 2005

Hurry up and wait

I'm not a patient woman.
But writing has taught me the importance of delayed gratification.
When I began writing, I had no concept of how long it took to publish a book. I wrote. I had faith I would be published. Out comes the book. In comes the royalties. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
This past week I was finishing the edits on my first book, picking out cover art for my second book, and writing on my first erotica. Not a dollar in sight.
Next week I'll be sending out several queries on my Suspense and waiting to hear back from my publisher about the third book I've sent.

Okay. I confess. I write because I love it. Even if there were no monetary value involved, I'd be here tapping out thoughts and stories. Because I have to. It's who I am and what I do.

BUT...waiting? To hear back? And to see monetary compensation? It can drive an impatient woman up the wall.

A writer writes because he/she loves to do it. The greatest gratification comes from finishing the book. Knowing you're capable. Treasuring the words. And waiting.
Waiting for the call. The book. The readers.
And I can wait for that. It's worth it. And so am I.
Grins*

5 comments:

Regina Avalos said...

The waiting is so hard. Especially for an impatient person like me.

Crystal* said...

Gina! I KNOW! ACK!

Grins,
Crystal*

Desperate Writer said...

TELL ME ABOUT IT!

Silma said...

A beginner recently posted in the critique group I'm in if it was possible to live of the royalties of your books. I choked on my vanilla coke. Live of the royalties? Yeah, riiiight.

Crystal* said...

My lovely fellow authors,
doesn't it just twist your knickers when you realize that "outsiders" to publishing think we're all rich? And that published means "well off."
Silma, I would have spewed Diet Pepsi forth. LMAO
Grins*