Sunday, May 22, 2005

Hot water heater blues

Yesterday morning I awoke to the sound of my feet sloshing on my wood floor. Seems my hot water heater sprung a BIG leak. Huge. Massive. Baaaaaaaaaaaaad.
It was a gas tank. We decided to purchase an electric one. But first...there was a mess to clean.
Water to be sopped and mopped. Fans blowing on the floor to dry everything out.
Oh, and the small task of removing the first tank.
I am oh-so-ignorant when it comes to home improvement. I say this honestly and without rancor. I mean really. How hard can it be?

I had no idea the first tank would be so damn heavy, not to mention the second tank was even more of a pain in the ass. The first tank was a 30 gallon and came with the house. We thought we had ALL the water out of it. Silly, silly us. We didn't. We thought we would carry it through the house to the front porch. Negatory. We ended up prying the screen off the laundry room window (where the HWT lives) and shoving it out. Never a dull moment around here, folks. And then we watched in amazement as water literally POURED out of it. There was much cursing and gnashing of teeth at this point. I believe I may have kicked something. It's all fuzzy.
The second tank is a fifty gallon. It was lighter. But here's the fun part. The damn pipes did NOT match up. We ended up bringing in cinderblocks and 2 x 4's to prop it up to give it enough height. We were constantly moving and tweaking and yes. Cursing. heh
EVERYTHING in the laundry room floor came to live in my bedroom. I couldn't even attempt to get on the computer yesterday. There was a narrow path from doorway to doorway.
There are trails of extension cords throughout the house. Saws, brooms, etc. litter the floor.

We're adding another breaker for the new HWT and the three extra rooms. And then there's the pleasant task of putting down vinyl/linoleum in the bathroom. Can I get a yeehaw?

So I must go. There are things to tear up/down and everywhere. I've made an appointment to write Monday. No exceptions. I also need to look over my first galley and send in my Author info sheet for my second book. Summer vacation? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, right.
Grins*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG. I think I would have to shoot myself. Hang in there!!