Thursday, May 19, 2005

Homeschooling

I've seriously considered homeschooling the baby chicken. There is a teacher shake-up at school, and I'm not sure how this will be handled.
I've already put my opinion out there, and now I must wait. And here's the problem:

Baby chicken is in the advanced class. Though she's only in third grade, she's been doing some fourth grade work. It's a split 3rd/4th class. The teacher, who I love dearly, has to leave to teach elsewhere. Now they're putting the children back together. I don't want them to. Not only are there too many children, in my opinion, but I think the ones that were in the advanced class will be bored. I hope not.

So I, being semi-Internet savvy, decide to google some info.
Let me just begin by saying I'm shocked and dismayed. Okay, pissed.

The Department of Education has acknowledged that for students who are enrolled in public-school "homebound" programs (for long-term illness that prevents regular public school attendance), three hours of one-on-one instruction per week is considered to be "equivalent" for their purposes.
Three hours. A week.

The law states (in summary) that children between the ages of 16 and 18 who wish to apply for a driver's license must provide proof of school enrollment and pass a criterion-referenced reading test at the eighth-grade level.
It's great to know my almost sixth grader could get a license at 12. Because she can read at an eighth grade level (at least). I am extremely unhappy with the unregulated stupidity of these rules.

While there is no reporting system in Oklahoma for homeschoolers, it is sometimes recommended that Oklahoma families keep some kind of record of the type of education being provided and each child's progress for at least 175 days of the year.
Some type of record. Hmmmmm. Ya think?

So, I've assured myself I'm more than capable of homeschooling baby chicken should the need arise. But now I'm REALLY worried about the educational health of homeschooled children in this state. Can you imagine?

Grins*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Homeschooling is a scary prospect. I'm a teacher and I'd rather have my kids educated in public schools, as long as there are no guns or gangs.

Rene said...

I'm with Amy, I could never homeschool my kids. I would run out of duct tape in a week. Luckily I live in an awesome school district and my kids go to a really wonderful school.