Monday, March 21, 2005

Stormy Weather

I live in Tornado Alley. It's Spring. What did it do last night?
Well. Let's see.
It rearranged my yard. I just THOUGHT I wanted the kid's bikes in the back. It knocked out the electricity. This woke-up the baby who, God bless her, was NOT pleased. I was just waiting, of course.
Me: Hearing tiny taps of tootsies across the kitchen floor.
Baby: Mama?
Me (wearily): Yes?
B: The electricity is out.
M: I know, hon.
B: I can't sleep.
M: I know hon.
Silence for two minutes
B: What do you want me to do?
I hear the oldest chicken up also.
Oldest: Mom. Electricity's out.
M: Yes. What would you like me to do? (pause) Go grab the flashlight.
(Shuffling of children in darkness. Squeak of hall drawer. Giggles.
I stumble out of bed and to the front door so I can take a look. Two chickens hot on my heels. I check on other chickens. All is well. I look at my two stormwatchers and grin.)
M: Ok. Baby. What do you want to do?
B: I'll be fine if I take the flashlight.
M: Rock on.
(I turn to oldest) And you?
O: I'm fine. (shrugging) I just don't want to miss my alarm.
M: Don't worry about it. I'll make sure you get to school. Everybody in bed.
More shuffling and giggling.
M: Goodnight babies.
O & B: Goodnight Mama.
Last night was the first real storm of the season. I need more batteries.
Grins*

No comments: