Wednesday, May 17, 2006

What I know

I realize that when I first started writing, everything I knew about writing could fit on a pinhead. I then moved up to a thimble. And currently, I'd say a quarter measuring cup. On a good day.
You know that scene in "Grey's Anatomy" where George looks off into space and says..."Who else here has absolutely no idea what they're doing?" And everyone raises their hands?
Yeah. That's about right.

I learn something new every damn day. The mechanics. The style. There are so many little pieces that it would take three lifetimes to cover it. Probably not even then.
And I always try and sift through the information to find the good stuff. The keepers. A little tool or two to add to my literary toolbox.
When I come upon these gems, I try and share. And God knows I appreciate when someone else does the same. But here's another word of advice...check it out for yourself. And if it doesn't fit you, that's fine, too. It's not a one-size-fits-all type occupation. That's one thing I DO know.
Grins*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister. And the closer my deadline gets, the more back to a pinhead I get.

Anonymous said...

I realized tonight that I use too many commas. Doh! Now how to avoid that...?

We all have our weaknesses. Only in recognizing them do we get stronger.

Silma said...

I hear ya! It's funny how I can read some else's work and point their strengths and weaknesses, and explain the latter. However, when I'm writing, I can't apply the "rules" even if to save my life. *LOL* I guess it's true what they say, "Doctors make lousy patients." So as critiquer, I make a lousy writer. And the more pressure I'm under, the more in blank my brain goes. Of course, I blame it all to old age and a lack of chocolate.

Anonymous said...

Maybe, and I'm only saying maybe here, but aren't all those weaknesses also strengths? God knows if we followed every rule we've come across then the fictional world would be lifeless. I have a name I apply to all this worry, I call it 'future angst'. The process of thinking of others (ie an editor or market) when we're re-writing our own work. What will sell? What do they want? Is it good enough to fulfill those criteria? With the advent of Creative Commons and internet blogging, I find that the 'future angst' can be easily negotiated around. I've just finished a novel, and am nearing completion of a second. These I treat with that same king of 'future angst' as I did other projects in the past. But while I'm writing stories for my blog I can totally forget it. For the blog I have free reign. There I write totally for myself without any thought of publishing. It's a great motivator when you're getting fed up of the critic looking over your shoulder on more commercial endeavours.