Friday, May 19, 2006

It's called Fiction for a reason

There are a lot of people with their collective butts in knots over this whole DaVinci Code thing.
*rolling eyes*
Spare me.
It's one good way to get on a soapbox and have people listen to your rhetoric. Hop on the bandwagon. Let your voice be heard.
Bottom line?
It's FICTION, people. Fiction. You know...an invented story. Dan Brown's not selling this book as non-fiction. He is shopping it as FICTION. So it pisses people off. So what? If you don't agree with it, that's fine. And if you do, that's fine.
Several people want to peddle this as it's ALL about faith. Personal religious beliefs.
And sure...it pushes a lot of buttons. But it's FICTION. *tapping screen* Do you get it?

I find it all fascinating, personally. The code aspect interests me. The clues that string through the book-awesome. I was enthralled with the whole sequence of events.
Am I going to be all uptight and pissy about the fact it doesn't agree with my faith? Um...no.
Faith is personal. It's the belief that holds a person's moral fabric together.
I've read Dan Brown's book. Mine is still intact. Imagine that.
Grins*

6 comments:

Silma said...

The DaVinci Code is good, but I love the one before that one, Angels and Demons. Now what I find weird is that all these people critiquizing the The DaVinci Code are buying the book just to go on these burning sprees. Uh? Hello? Doesn't this help the publisher and the writer make more $$$? Call me stupid, but I think if they didn't want to support the story, then they shouldn't buy the book.

Ceri Hebert said...

Amen to that! (pun intended). And I'd think the bigger the stink that's made over this book/movie the more people will want to see it. It makes me wonder, these people who can't seperate fiction from reality. Like those who believe that Harry Potter books and movies are creating little satanists.

I haven't read the book yet. But its in my TBR pile. And I'm sure that after I read it I won't be taking it as the truth.

Eva Gale said...

You know, when the hub bub first started I had NO desire to jump on the bandwagon. Now I am buying the movie when it comes out.

And I want to read Angels and Demons too.

Lyvvie said...

I do a lot of blog hopping, and if I have to see one more Da Vinci code scandal, I'm gonna hurl.

I'm with you Chrys, and if eye rolling was an Olympic Sport I'd be in for the gold, baby! I can't wait for this wagon train to head on out of town because the people on it have a whiff about them.

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister! *g* And I agree with Silma about people buying the book to burn. Apparently they have no clue how the publishing biz works! And I agree with Ceri, too. Seems like the more people stir up a stink, the more people are likely to either buy the book or see the movie.

Sure, I don't agree with the basic premise behind the book, but the MYSTERY and the adventure are FUN!!!

Anonymous said...

People are just acting crazy. It's fiction and most people know it. Just the weirdos come out of the woodwork when something like this hits it big.