Monday, May 08, 2006

What do you see?

Names are important. And I have a lovely .49 cent baby book that assists in the naming of characters. Because to me, it has to fit.
A disclaimer: If I mention your name, and you find my description unflattering, apologies in advance.
What do you see when you hear the name Kip? Bambi? Chip? Candy?
In your mind's eye, you have an image. Mine may not be the same as yours. But on some of these I would bet it's pretty darn close.

I will never name any of my characters the same as anyone in my life who has hurt me. Just won't happen. Or names of those I know who are a$$holes. I'll go out of my way to avoid it. There is a name which, in itself, is pleasant. But it conjures up a psychotic piece of trash who had a crush on my ex-husband and carved her name in the top of our car. (I've led an interesting life).
And I know there are names that are triggers for some people. I would bet in this day and age, you couldn't use the surname Halliwell. Charmed has the corner on that. Naming your lead characters Brad and Jen...or Brad and Angelina? Doubtful.

Names are powerful. And I like mine to have some type of hidden meaning. I named a paranormal character Wilda because it means "untamed", and that was perfect for the story.
What He Wants features: Sheridan, Trevor, Miles, Isadora, and Liam. To me, they fit. Rather like theme-naming.
So think about it before you pop any ol' moniker on there. Because it matters.
Grins*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preachin' to the choir, hon. *g*

Crystal* said...

Tori: LMAO! You think?
Crystal*

Rene said...

Oh, I'm really daring when it comes to names. Here are my heroes: Lucas, Charles, Cameron, Logan, Geoffrey, Jack, Julian and Lucian. And yes, half of those are historicals. I'm pretty wild with girls. Kate, Katherine, Jane, Kallie, Dillian, Gwendolyn, Jocelyn. My weird one is Ainsley. Dillian is kind of odd too.

I really don't worry about names and if they happen to be people I know. I don't relate the two.

Ceri Hebert said...

I have to laugh at some of the names I see in some books, especially the men.

I have many many baby name books and they're pretty dogearred. But I have to find the perfect name as well. Finding the perfect name can hang me up for hours.

Lyvvie said...

I'm so bad with names in RL that fantasy names are impossible. But then, who knew something as simple as "Harry Potter" would become so famous.