Thursday, June 22, 2006

Clothing optional

I don't particularly like clothes. LOATHE turtlenecks. Too constrictive.
It's apparently a trait I've passed onto baby chicken. I recall a day when she was about four, and I went to pick the kids up from daycare. I'd just gotten off work (wearing steel-toed shoes) and needed to change out of them. I dropped the kids off in the living room, changed shoes, and when I went back into the living room, baby chicken was already naked. Her clothes in a pile around her feet.
Hilarious.
This hasn't changed much.
Or the time that I bought pale, pink jeans for my oldest chicken for preschool. They were SO pretty. And she only went a half day. But when I came to pick her up, the teacher looked at me and said, "Your daughter looks ready for a Tide commercial." Lo and behold, OC had sat in the wet sand to build things. It was the first and last time she wore those jeans. I never bought her any other jeans but dark ones. Because she's hands-on.
Middle chicken has a way with words. Who else could call bologna...circle meat? Or any pot roast that cooks in the crockpot...soft meat? Or a quarter...circle money. She's unique like that. Probably why she won the award for Most Creative writer out of the entire fifth grade this last year.
These things are inherent. It's who they are. And I've learned to embrace it, for the most part.
What about you? What traits do you have...have always had...that are as much a part of you as the air you breathe?
Grins*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to shave... I've got a persistent three day growth. I think it's been like this since I was born. This coupled with the fact that I was already middle aged when I was born was probably an irritant to my mother.

Anonymous said...

Once again, our "twin-ness" rears its head. *g* One of the things I hate the most about winter is wearing long pants. Give me short and loose t-shirts, thank you very much. And NO shoes! :)

Eva Gale said...

Yikes, my small hatchlings are nekkid half the day too. Bathing suits are NOT for getting wet. ::rolls eyes::

My weirdo thing? Dirty feet. I hate feeling crumby stuff underfoot and I wash my feet every night before I go to bed.

Ceri Hebert said...

Ugh, hate turtle necks too. Mock turtle necks aren't too horrible though.

I always eat my pizza from the crust side first. Don't know why.

And my youngest duckling still would rather run around the house nekkid. My middle was like that too until she was about 4. I don't know where they get this. I don't think I did that when I was a kid.