The first lines of a book are crucial. They are supposed to take the reader by the heart, hand, or throat and begin the journey into another world.
The last lines of the book simply pat the reader on the hand, hug them, or point down another trail. And they are JUST as important if not more so.
An unsatisfying conclusion can take all the good work done up until that point and utterly trash it.
One of my favorite movies "Pretty Woman" does this. I'm a sucker for the hooker with a heart of gold. Plus, it has a kicking soundtrack. BUT...one of the last lines? The one where Richard Gere climbs all those stairs (after admitting he's scared of heights) and talks of rescuing her?
And she says..."She rescues him right back"? I LOATHE that line.
You spend I don't know how many million...and your writers couldn't come up with anything better? Ewww
Here are a list of some famous last lines. These stick. And I think they work.
1. “Oh, no! It wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast.”
2. “It’s a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done. It’s a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known.”
3. “Merry Christmas, and may God bless us, every one.”
4. “...Tara!...Home. I'll go home, and I'll think of some way to get him back! After all, tomorrow is another day!”
5. “Oh, but anyway, Toto, we're home! Home! And this is my room - and you're all here! And I'm not gonna leave here ever, ever again because I love you all! - And oh, Auntie Em, there's no place like home.”
6. “Look, Daddy. Teacher says, every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.” “That's right, that's right. Attaboy, Clarence.”
7. “Who's to say what magic is? Oh, Gill, don't you want to stop crying now?”“I don't think I can. I'm only human.”
8. “In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.”
9. “This world is so full of crap, a man’s gonna get into it sooner or later whether he’s careful or not.”
10. “Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.”
11. "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?"
12. "One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn vampires."
13. “I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye.”
14. “I have to warn you. I’ve heard relationships based on intense experiences never work.” “Okay. We’ll have to base it on sex, then.” “Whatever you say, ma’am.”
After listing more than a dozen, I've decided to have a contest. I know. *grinning* I can't help myself.
Name at least EIGHT of the movies these came from. Email me at chryswriterATaolDOTcom. I will put you in a drawing for ANY release from WCP or WCP Torrid. An email download. Contest ends Saturday around noon central time.
BUT...You CANNOT look them up. We'll go by the honor system.
Best of luck. And have fun!
I'm off to write some last words of my own.
1 year ago