Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Nicknames

I love nicknames.
My sister and I grew up with nicknames. All my girls have nicknames. Hell, even my animals have nicknames.
Somehow, my orange tabby's name stretched from one to four words. And yes, she only gets all four when she is doing something VERY bad. *laughing*

I've also noticed that when females have longer names, males will shorten the names to sound masculine. I've been "Chrys" forever to my friends. But it was the males who called me that first.

I tend to call my friends "heifer."
Hey! I live in Oklahoma. And I only use it as a term of endearment. Though some don't seem to find it endearing. But it's growing on them. It has to. It's one of the first words out of my mouth. Forget "girlfriend"...use "heifer." It gets their attention faster.

But nicknames are also something very special. People who do NOT know me and try to use "Chrys" receive a blank stare for their efforts. Put in a little time and effort. Start a background with me. THEN, and only then, may use my nickname.
And if you're lucky...I may just call you "heifer."
Grins*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor, or Jonathan, or George or Bill Bailey -
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter -
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum -
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover -
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name."

-- T S Eliot

So what is the orange tabby's name?

Crystal* said...

TS Eliot is brilliant.
And my tabby?
Pumpkin Pie Sue Inman. But I suppose I'll never know her secret name.
Crystal*

Anonymous said...

Tori's actually a nickname of mine. The name on my birth certificate is just plain Vicki (not Victoria--I was named for a family friend whose last name was Vick). But in high school, my best friend started calling Tori just for kicks. Then in later years another friend called me the same thing. So I decided it would be great for my pseudonym. But I also answer to Vic. :)

Rene said...

My nickname is Bubba. I'm not kidding. All kids in my family are called Bubba.