Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Scared to death

I received my daily "We just got home from school and are checking in" call. And what did oldest chicken tell me?

That the school was put on a Code Red lockdown. If you ever want to strike fear into a mother's heart...you will utter the words CODE RED LOCKDOWN.

So after I squash my panic attack...I ask exactly what went on. Apparently there was a girl in Oldest chicken's class that had a "hit list" with names on it. A few of the girls saw it and went to the principal. Handcuffs, three sherrifs, and one dog later...everything was supposed to be okay.
But it's not.

I appreciate the fact the school was locked down even though it scared the shit out of the girls. But I didn't get ONE piece of paper with any type of explanation (even a little one). And this all happened BEFORE NOON.
Needless to say, I will be at the school bright and early tomorrow morning with questions and opinions.

But that's not the worst part. The worst part is that it happened. And it upsets the hell out of me. The girls go to a LITTLE school. The graduating class is usually between 12 and 20.
And the fact that something so heinous could happen here scares me to death.

What the hell is the world coming to?
Violence will solve your problems? Parents not knowing that there are some SERIOUS anger issues going on? A principal that keeps parents in the dark?
Screw that.

Give extra hugs and kisses this evening. I know I will.
Chrys*

2 comments:

Rene said...

My school and school district are anal about keeping parents in the loop. We get notes if there is even a breath of danger and a phone call (they have an automated system that allows the principal or another administrator to make one call and it goes to all parents). When the high school in a district near us had a lockdown, we got a phone call. I'm pretty fortunate, the culture of my kids' school is that it takes a village. Parents and teachers try to keep an eye on things and head off problems before they escalate.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'd be pretty upset, too.