Monday, February 09, 2009

The Grammys Got It Right

I used to love watching award shows. The Emmys. The Oscars. Any and all music awards shows. Then that fizzled out rather quickly over a year when I think the scheduled show ran over four hours long.
I would have rather watched golf. THAT'S how bad it was.
But as much as I love music, I decided to give it another go and see what's up.
Couldn't be happier I did.
Now. I haven't watched the Grammys since Ricky Martin sang "Livin' La Vida Loca." Yeah. It's been awhile. But that was hands down one of the best performances I had ever seen him give. I think I watched Toni Braxton perform that year, also. Absolutely amazing.
But this year?
Someone finally got it right.
The performances were a mix of genres and ages. I thought putting Kanye, Jay Z, and T.I. on stage together was inspired. The same for Jamie Foxx, Smokey Robinson, and Ne-Yo. What my gag reflex had a hard time with was the Jonas Brothers and Stevie Wonder. I loathe the Jonas Brothers. They are talentless hacks that Disney has foisted on the masses to make a buck.
But enough about them. Sir Paul and Dave from the Foo Fighters rocked. Coldplay was utterly fantastic. The more I see them, the more I like them. Sugarland blew me away. Jennifer Nettles just has that VOICE. Phenomenal.
So all in all, I enjoyed the three and a half hour program. It lagged a bit in spots. But it made up for it in vitality and freshness.
MIX IT UP, people!
And maybe, just maybe, the Oscars won't tank this year like they did last year.
Ya know?
Grins*

No comments: