Thursday, July 05, 2007

Mild, medium, hot

I struggle with this every time I have a new book come out. If it's hot...it shoots up on the bestseller list. The mild stuff? Not so much. And I understand why. Hell, I write HOT. I like it. But there's also a place for the milder, but still intense, love scenes.
But all of my stories compartmentalized in my wee little cranium are already classified with the appropriate level of hotness.
Anyway...such as it is. It's not going to change.

How was your Fourth? The chickens and I had a great time. Popped some fireworks. Saw a rather huge display in the nearest city. Ate chips and drank soda. I'm sure that's what our founding fathers saw when they declared our freedom from England. *nodding* Suuuuuuure it was.
Lit several smoke bombs at the house. The kittens ran for cover and wouldn't come out for an hour or two.
Almost set my baby chicken on fire. Hey! It was an accident! I swear it!!! I had two sets of these new firecrackers. Had no idea what they would do. Me=bad mama
So I light one FAR away from the chickens and myself. Doesn't do much of anything. So, in my maternal brilliance, I decide to set the other one of the sidewalk in front of the house. We're all gathered around.
I disavow all knowledge of proximity. But it was um...close. ANYWAY...lit the little sucker, and one comes flying for baby chicken like a guided missile. OMG!
Once we all realized she wasn't hurt...(AT ALL)...I almost fell on the ground laughing. That girl can MOVE! And as, once again, oxygen flowed to my brain...I apologized.
This incident ranks right up there with the time I almost got all of us hit by lightning. I'll have to pull that gem of a post out and let everyone see what my poor chickens have to put up with.

But all in all...we had a good time. And my chickens only have about six more weeks of freedom. Anyone else looking forward to the start of school? *sigh*
Grins*

2 comments:

Rene said...

Too funny. We are not allowed to have fireworks in my community. We watched a public display from my inlaws' yard. Nothing nearly as exciting as your holiday.

I've been ready for the start of school the first Monday they were home. They don't go back until September 5.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Yep, this is something that really worries me. I do not write the hot stuff with harder language. I've tried, and it sounds ridiculous. All we can do is be true to our voices and the stories themselves, and try to write as smart as possible.