Monday, March 05, 2007

Writers are needy creatures

First, let me clear this up...Bryan, you are so droll. Truly.
Wish that it would have happened like that. But, alas, it's not to be.
Some facets of my life seriously inhale right now.

On with the show...

I've already confessed, many times, my issue with numbers. I must check numbers. See if they've gone up. Gone down (God forbid). Just checking what the blazes is going on with them.
Because numbers, in my mind, are a barometer of my work.
I've received a few fan letters (WHICH I LOVED!!!) from readers. But I usually receive most of my feedback from numbers.

Are any of my books in the Top Ten Hot Titles for either publisher? Did I make the Top Ten Bestsellers for the month? How am I doing on Fictionwise? Who rated my book Excellent or merely OK?
I gotta know.

Writers for the most part are solitary creatures. I'm one of those. And these words that come from me are the creative part of me reaching out to others. Did four more people rate What He Wants on Fictionwise? BANZAI!!! Excellent news.
How far have my other titles slipped? Isn't it amazing that The Portrait is moving back up the ranks?

Numbers, my friends. Numbers.

I need for my words, through my writing, to touch others. To laugh. To snort. To cry. To affect some part of their day. Their mood. I need it like I need the Diet Pepsi. Because then, and only then, will these words wrap around someone else's head and find a home.
Just a few keystrokes on the board. A few thoughts blended together. But a symbiotic relationship that affects us both.
Writer and reader. Moving in tandem toward a happy place in the story. One guiding. One trusting. But both hoping that the end will bring forth a satisfying conclusion.
Powerful and pleasing.
What a wonderful job.
Grins*

2 comments:

Lyvvie said...

Better to do it with words, certainly, that way you avoid needless court time for assault.

But I'd never press charges against you Chrys. *wink*

Maria, Lover of All Things Romance said...

Amen to that! I have to say I'm struggling with that myself. I find it hard to say 'I'm a writer' because, well, I have nothing published