Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Great premise. Shitty book.

I weep for these situations.

Premise is basically the idea of the story.  The foundation on which a writer builds his/her story.  It is germane to the entire creation.

I'm a voracious reader.  I find myself bending toward teen fiction right now.  Easy reads.  Interesting plots.  So on and so forth.  I've also taken to downloading ebooks from Overdrive.  I can read them in my browser, and if I really enjoy them, I may pick up the paperback.

But it's a sad day when I read the synopsis of a book and pick it up, only to find that I'm incredibly disappointed with the finished product.
I'm trying out the first book in a trilogy about witches and paths that they choose.  Great premise. But the heroine?  She's not TSTL (too stupid to live), but she's highly annoying.  She's whiny and angsty and so helpless that I want to flick her to see if she can focus.

Because...MY GOD!!!  You have so much material here.  You could have made it a fantastic story where I wanted to keep reading until the wee hours of the morning.
I'm right under less than halfway, and I'm believe I'm done with it.

It pains me.
Truly.

If you've a brilliant premise, then please!!!  Please put everything you've got into it.  Make your characters live and breathe and cry and scream.  Use vivid descriptions.  Utilize dynamic dialogue. But most of all???

Do the premise justice.  Do YOURSELF justice.  It's not easy, but it's a hell of a lot better than half-assed storytelling just so you can type "The End".

*******

No comments: