Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hello, my lovelies!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

I'm thankful for many things this year. Family, friends, my writing. And as I age, I become increasingly aware of those around me who may need a helping hand. NOT a handout. A hand up.

Let me give a little background.

I've been through some very difficult times in my seemingly short life. And there have been times when I've literally had not a dollar to my name. One of these times, I worked at a chemical plant in the nearest city. I worked my ass off twelve hours a day and was barely making my bills. It was so damn hard some days. But you persevere because you have to. Because you have kids to feed. Because you need gas in your vehicle and shoes on your kids' feet.
I knew Christmas would be sparse. Even the Dollar Store was a bit too much to ask for.

But I received a surprise that to this day brings a tear to my eye. A lovely, large box at the guard shack to Crystal Inman and girls. From Santa Claus.
Yep.
Santa Claus.
I was dumbfounded. At a loss for words. And so completely touched by coworkers' generosity.

I never found out exactly which ones put together the holiday care package. I suppose in the long run that it doesn't really matter. What matters is that feeling. That I wasn't completely alone. That I didn't have to worry about providing something for my girls. That someone completely unrelated to me cared enough to give of themselves.

I had some relatives that pretty much told me that no matter my problems, I could deal with them myself. They didn't care. And didn't seem to understand that I wanted help. Not a handout.

So I ask this holiday season for your generosity unto others.
When you see the big, red kettle...empty your change into it. Adopt a family to help. Give to a worthwhile charity. Volunteer.
Make a difference in your community. Even the smallest gesture can have a great impact.
Grins*

2 comments:

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

What a wonderful story, and thanks for reminding us of the TRUE meaning of the season! I hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful story! People can be so surprising, can't they? The world needs more of that. And, let's face it, friends you can choose, but family you're just stuck with.