Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Breaking the rules...and getting away with it

Yeah. I admit it. I'm a rule-breaker. And I like it. I also have a lot of respect for other rule-breakers.
Those mavericks of the writing world. The literary liberators who snap the rules and bend perceptions.

Dexter, new show on Showtime, actually has a hero (and I use the term loosely) who is a serial killer. Who thought that up? Was he/she freaking out about the fact that it may not be received well? I doubt it. Because the idea beckoned to him/her.

Does Mary Janice Davidson lose sleep at night because she has a vampire heroine who can stand sunlight, has been staked, and squicks out at the thought of sucking blood? Nah.

New writers are heavily cautioned against bucking the system and writing out on a limb. Heaven forbid they step outside that damn box. *snort*

There was a show back in the eighties called "V." It was about aliens who came to earth. The only alien I can remember was Robert Englund as the one alien who was a vegetarian.

Dare to be different.

Form is one thing. Content is another matter entirely.
I'm off to buck the system.
Grins*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED "V"!!!!! I'm sure this surprises you to no end. *g* Robert Englund was great! As I recall, he was the only alien who was on the humans' side. Jane Badler played the head alien chick who wanted to kill (and eat--ugh!) as many humans as she could. Duncan Regehr was on there for awhile, too, playing Jane's character's lover. His name was Charles. (Why do I remember this stuff???) And Marc Singer was also on the show as a human freedom fighter.

Crystal* said...

I. Worry. About. You.
*grins*
You nut!
Crystal*

Crystal* said...

Chrystal:
You would die of boredom while wondering if your shoes matched.
Crystal*

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the Adrian Mole series, where he's writing a comedy about a serial killer called White Van Man. I bet your thirteen year old (And no that will not happen to me. My girls will remain bepigtailed cuddlefluffs for ever and ever.) would love Adrian Mole. I read him when I first turned thirteen and I read him now as he's also in his early thirties.