Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mind shift

This is your brain:
Job. Dishes. Laundry. Kids. Cleaning. Not enough time. Put gas in the car. Tick tock. Pets need food/water. Get the kids off to school. Hurry hurry hurry.

This is your brain on Stephen King:
The night was silent. The foliage hovered overhead and drowned out all attempts from the moon. The path was still. So still. And then you hear it. The faint hissing of warning. Your heartbeat speeds up as you look around in panic. The vines speak to you. Run, they whisper. You are not welcome here.
Your legs like leaden weights when you see the red eyes ahead. And then the ominous glint of moon on long teeth that promise your last seconds of life.
*****************************************************************************
Seriously. *grins*
I love Stephen King. He is the Master Storyteller. I read Lisey's Story, and it was okay. But I'm reading Duma Key right now, and I like it so much better. It's scaring the hell out of me, but we shall bypass that for the pure quality of terror it inspires.
I enjoy anyone who can bypass my first defenses and clamp my psyche in greedy jaws of literature. Stephen King digs deep. I'll have nightmares, I'm sure. But the story. Damn it all. The story is brilliant. It rings true. And he has the perfect balance of dialogue and description.
He also kills off main characters that I thoroughly enjoy. I stumble over that sometimes. But it also rings true with me. The ability to scare the shit out of me, make me laugh, and make me cry is potent.
I'm almost done with Duma Key. And I recommend it if you're a Stephen King fan. Or not. Because he can make you see the dark recesses of his mind.
I wonder how HE sleeps at night.
Grins*

No comments: