Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Too Late To Apologize

Not only is this a kickin' song, it's a type of mantra for writers. Once your lovely book is released unto the masses, watch out. Some will love it. Some will hate it. Some won't bother to give a shit and will post your literary baby on eBay as quickly as possible.
I read "If There Be Dragons" by Kay Hooper this last weekend. It sucked. Verily.
I've read some of Kay Hooper's other work. Her psychic/detective works. And I liked them for the most part though some are bland. But this book? A waste of my time and the pages it was printed on.
There was no conflict. I would have more conflict if I opened the medicine cabinet, eyeballed my nail polish, and couldn't decide between red and blue. (By the way, RED always wins)
But I digress.
Writers will not always make readers happy. Period. And readers will not always stroke the writer's ego and exclaim at what a beautiful piece of work was written.
Just doesn't happen.
But when you come across something truly atrocious, should the writer bow his/her head and mea culpa you to death?
Hell no.
A work by any author stands when it's published. Whether it remains standing or falls all to hell is, unfortunately, up to general populace.
I have auto buys, though admittedly very few. And when I get a book that makes me throw up a bit in my mouth, I put it down and move on. Or I post a snarky blog such as this. Then I'm good.
If, however, heaven forbid, I stumble across a rant by a reader about one of my books, will I stop and apologize?
*snort*
You're kidding, right?
If a book is horrifically put together, I wouldn't let it be published. Not going to happen. The only reason I could even fathom someone having an issue with it would be content. And isn't that too damn bad for those who don't have the honor of debating with me what will or will not reside in my work of fiction?
Take a number. Form a line. Get comfortable.
So even though I have come across some truly horrid pieces of fiction and non-fiction, that's okay by me.
Writing is subjective. Reading is subjective.
Thank God.
Grins*

1 comment:

Rene said...

I think you are spot on. Reading is subjective. And writer's shouldn't apologize...for the most part. If they truly believe they've written a good book, they have no reason to defend their position.