Thursday, August 04, 2016

Ode to Russell Westbrook

I wasn't going to spend my lunch hour blogging.
But how could I not???

Westbrook has signed with the OKC Thunder again.

I believe I can truthfully say that we were ALL sweating it.
KD taking off for the coast.
Russ's roots deep in California.

But I can also truthfully say that I would've watched Russ play ANYWHERE.
He's that type of player.
KD?
No.
I own Westbrook shirts.
None of KD's.
I've also got a Perkins.  ;)

I admire the way Russ lives his life both on and off the court.  His passion is evident in everything that he does.
I love that about him.

Years ago, when he was tossing up basketballs at the ends of games, and there were collective groans and pissy comments across Thunderland, I rarely joined in.  Because that's Russ.  He will try until he has nothing left to give.
He ELEVATES those near him.
I respect that.

He's an amazing young man who strikes fear into the other players because they don't know what in the hell he's going to do next.  His vision is keen.  His plays are highlights.  He's grown as a player, and a man, and we're all better for it.

I'm incredibly grateful that he'll be playing with the Thunder.  That shows that he believes in his team and this state.
That's the bottom line, isn't it?
Win, win win???!!!???
Yet, Russ stayed and opted to play with us for the next couple of years, at least.
That shows faith.  That shows commitment.
And it's our turn to show it right back.

Glad you're still here, Russ.
Thunder Up!!!
*******


No comments: